Pur Autre Vie

I'm not wrong, I'm just an asshole

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Let's Keep It Consistent

I only recenty realized how young Matthew Yglesias is. We both graduated from high school in 1999. Our politics are quite similar. I also consider Yglesias's writing to be quite high-quality. When it isn't, though, when Yglesias departs from his usual high standards, I have to object.

Here's Yglesias back in April of 2005 (emphasis in the original):

Incidentally, Rich Lowry quite rightly pointed out yesterday that the liberal proclivity for mocking DeLay for being a former exterminator reflects an unseemly snobbery. Exterminators are doing the Lord's work. Who wants to be overrun by bugs and rodents? Keep the focus on the opera fandom.

Here's Yglesias now:

DeLay and his allies, however, want to cut taxes even more. Usually they pretend this can be paid for painlessly through spending discipline, but as the Bugman is conceding, there's just no way to do it.