Pur Autre Vie

I'm not wrong, I'm just an asshole

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Other Side of the Table

So as I've been interviewing with big law firms over the last few weeks, I've often contemplated how nice it would be to be on the other side of the table. I got that chance yesterday when the Kirkland interviewers sat on the wrong side of the table.

The first thing I noticed was that my view wasn't as good. Instead of looking out the GSB window, I was stuck looking at a wall. Of course, the clock on the wall was visible, but that's not entirely a good thing. I caught myself glancing at it nervously, which is bad body language.

Then I found myself envying the youth of the people across from me. They have so many opportunities in front of them - they can do whatever they want. They don't have to squander away their time as I have. They still have their youth. The world is theirs.

It was a relief to get back on the right side of the table today. The humiliation felt pure. I enjoyed my view and let them worry about the clock. I envy their poise and status, but it's a feeling I can deal with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home