Pur Autre Vie

I'm not wrong, I'm just an asshole

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Good Girls with Bad Taste

So my life has not been one of wild romantic success. Nevertheless, a few girls along the way have unequivocally been attracted to me. Most of them were, needless to say, inebriated. I'd like to take a moment to express appreciation for those females who have for whatever reason taken a fancy to me. I'll list as many as I can, trying to leave out identifying information. If you feel that you've been erroneously left off the list, contact me immediately.

1. A very sweet girl at camp. There were dances each of the 3 weeks, I seem to remember. We danced for a long time, and I mentioned that we should stop, or people would make fun of us. She said she didn't care about being made fun of. I was very flattered.

However, I immediately stopped dancing with her and told everyone what she said. We all had a good laugh at her expense.

You might think that was cruel, but remember that she had just said that she didn't mind being laughed at.

2. Another girl at camp. This one was a bit wild, and I didn't know she liked me until she sat in my lap one day. Weird. I still regret never writing her back after she sent me a postcard.

3. A girl in college. The less said the better.

4. Another girl in college. Turns out she wasn't all that attracted to me, but what are you going to do.

5. Another girl in college. You get the drift. I always sensed that I was a bit of a safety school, you know? Never a reach. Now I know what it feels like to be Washington University in St. Louis. As a quick aside, I have nothing but affection for WUSTL, and you'd be surprised how good a safety school can be.

6. A bunch of Smithies. Northampton is a favorable place for a straight male. Not that I'm straight. But it still worked.

7. A girl who hung out with us in Tarun's room, but I was ill and couldn't really do anything. Plus she was drunk. Plus I was sleeping in a bed in the same room as Tarun. Well, I'm not kidding anyone. The truth is, even full of beer, I was petrified and blew it. My consolation is that the girl was so awesome that no doubt someone else is making her happy in a way I never could.

And that's about it. Pretty pathetic, huh? All I'm trying to say is, thanks, because every once in a while I feel down and then I reflect back and don't feel quite as bad.