Pur Autre Vie

I'm not wrong, I'm just an asshole

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Cindarella Story... Outta Nowhere...

So, I'll be working at Cadwalader this summer. By all appearances it's a great place to work for lots of reasons, but one thing stands out: its name practically invites the nickname "the Caddyshack."

Why is that important? Because "Caddyshack" is the source of innumerable quotations that are, without more, hilarious. Instead of straining to make a joke, just insert a line from "Caddyshack" or its brethren, "Usual Suspects" and "Big Lebowski." Instant amusement.

For instance, the title of my last post is a reference to a line delivered by Judge Smails (played by Ted Knight): "Bushwood? A dump?" The title of this post refers, of course, to one of the top 100 movie quotes of all time, delivered by Bill Murray in "Caddyshack."

Now, it does take a little creativity. If someone says, "I spent all week working on a memo," you could respond, "So let's dance!" (Caddyshack), but it would be much better to answer, "That must be exhausting." (Big Lebowski) Here are some more examples (setup in regular type, response in italics):

I tried to find a case that was on point, but the best I could do was Ohio v. Kovacs. Is that the one about the hooker with the dysentery? (Usual Suspects) (credit: Steve)

Hey, James, what are you going to do after work? Fuck your father in the shower and have a snack. (Usual Suspects)

I'm studying philosophy of science at UCSD. I still jerk off manually. (Big Lebowski)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home