Pur Autre Vie

I'm not wrong, I'm just an asshole

Sunday, May 15, 2005

Life Update 2: Ubuntu

So I'm running Ubuntu! It's a distribution of Linux, which is itself a derivative of Unix, which is... well, actually, that's why this is something of a milestone. I don't know much about computers. The fact that I can run Ubuntu and enjoy it is ample evidence that Linux has reached the point where it can have mass appeal.

I will say, though, that I wouldn't feel comfortable with it without the help of some friends, and my brother, who can help me if I get stuck. In this sense, Linux is a bit like India: awesome if you have a trustworthy guide.

Why Ubuntu? Well, it feels nice, and it came highly recommended. Why not Windows, though? Well, I don't approve of their business practices in general. Furthermore, they recently chickened out on gay rights. Finally, there's this. I just can't do it anymore. It's sad, too, because Rhapsody (music streaming) won't run on Linux, and they just got Pinkerton, which is the best Weezer album. All that's behind me, though; and anyway if I dig through my stuff, I can probably find my Pinkerton CD.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home