Pur Autre Vie

I'm not wrong, I'm just an asshole

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Hyde Park 3: Monk Parakeets

One thing that definitely surprised me about Hyde Park was the presence of bright green parakeets, completely wild and thriving despite the harsh winters. You don't see them every day, but if you pay attention, you can catch glimpses of them, especially along the Midway. A few days ago I saw one in a tree right next to me, but unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me. Tonight I saw some and decided to get some pictures. It took me a while to track them down, but it helps that they often emit a distinctive shriek as they launch into flight. It sounds a bit like a high-pitched Chewbacca. Following the sound, I found them in a tree along the Midway. I did get a couple of pictures, but they were among a bunch of branches and in the shadows. I'll refrain from posting a picture until I get a decent one. Until then I'll be carrying my camera around whenever I leave the dorm.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are routinely a half-dozen or so in Nichols Park (between 53rd and 54th, Woodlawn and Kimbark) early in the morning. (They may be there all day, I don't know.)

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home