Pur Autre Vie

I'm not wrong, I'm just an asshole

Sunday, May 15, 2005

A Few Notes About... Plagiarism?

So I just want to point out that my recent posts derive mostly from ideas found in Professor Picker's paper. I hadn't realized just how similar my posts were, because I hadn't read the paper and had only heard about it at a talk Picker gave. You'll kind of have to trust me that I came up with my apple orchard example independently (or at least I think I did). Anyway, what struck me is that my ideas aren't original anyway. I learned about the (questionable) efficiency of property rights in several economics classes, and a bit in a political philosophy class. In fact, very very few of my ideas are original at all, and I doubt any is novel. I can't possibly give proper attribution for all my ideas, but somehow it's worse in this case... why?

I think the answer is very similar to Picker's reasoning on Sony. Basically, it would be prohibitively costly for me to provide attribution for all my ideas. In this case, though, it wouldn't have been that costly to point out more clearly that my ideas all stemmed from a talk Picker gave. In fact, I didn't present the ideas as entirely my own; the marginal cost of being absolutely clear on the matter would have been negligible.

How is this like Sony? Picker's critique of Sony is that it fails to make a rational tradeoff between costs and benefits. My critique of my own posts is the same. Anyway, it's okay as long as everyone realizes that my posts are just my way of expressing ideas you can find in Picker's paper.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home