Pur Autre Vie

I'm not wrong, I'm just an asshole

Saturday, January 02, 2016

James, a Glaswegian?

Long ago I realized that Amherst College was the wrong place for me, and I should have gone to the University of Chicago for my undergraduate degree.  Very sad!

Denmark is perhaps the most James country in existence, but possibly I belong in Scotland.  As evidence I present the following (from the Wikipedia page on Glasgow) (emphasis added):

Glaswegian, otherwise known as the Glasgow patter, is a local variety of Scots.
Glaswegian is a dialect, more than an alternative pronunciation; words also change their meaning as all over in Scotland, e.g. "away" can mean "leaving" as in A'm away, an instruction to stop being a nuisance as in away wi ye, or "drunk" or "demented" as in he's away wi it. Ginger is a term for any carbonated soft drink, historically referring to ginger beer (A bottle o ginger, IPA: [ə ˈboʔl ə ˈdʒɪndʒər]). Then there are words whose meaning has no obvious relationship to that in standard English: coupon means "face", via "to punch a ticket coupon". A headbutt is known in many parts of the British Isles as a "Glasgow kiss", although this term is rarely used by Glaswegians, who say "Malkie", e.g., "ah'll Malkie ye" or "stick the heid/nut on ye".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home