Pur Autre Vie

I'm not wrong, I'm just an asshole

Saturday, January 02, 2016

Hong Sang-soo, Some Kind of Genius

Among the Hong Sang-soo movies that I've seen, here is a rough ranking:

1.  Oki's Movie
2.  Woman on the Beach (this is very close to Oki's Movie, I go back and forth)
3.  Woman Is the Future of Man
4.  The Day He Arrives
5.  Virgin Stripped Bare by Her Bachelors
6.  Night and Day (very close to Virgin Stripped Bare by Her Bachelors)
7.  The Power of Kangwon Province
8.  In Another Country

Toward the bottom of the list, I could probably switch the movies up pretty much on a whim.  But the top two are very clearly his best movies (at least among the ones I've seen), and Woman Is the Future of Man also has a claim to greatness.

I wish he would make a movie set in Amsterdam (or New York...  or Chicago!), and I wish he would collaborate with Lars von Trier (resulting in, one presumes, the most depressing and sexualized movie of all time).

1 Comments:

Blogger Alan said...

Call me Hong Sang-soo-kyi.

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home