Pur Autre Vie

I'm not wrong, I'm just an asshole

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

I'm in a New York State of Mind (i.e., I want to punch someone)

The New York Times must think that its readers have incredibly short attention spans:

"In a statement, the chief executive, E. Stanley O’Neal, Merrill’s chief executive, said the firm still faces uncertainty with mortgage-related investments."

While I'm on the subject of New York, I should mention something that's been bothering me. You see, people who have lived in New York their whole lives might not realize it, but in general it's considered advisable to design things in a way that isn't retarded. So for instance, say you want to design a covered walkway over a busy street. The idea of covering it is to protect pedestrians from the elements - or at least, that's the idea in most cities. In New York it's considered helpful to build the shelter in such a way that almost all the water drips down on the pedestrians. It's actually worse than being outside, because then you're just getting pelted by small raindrops. Under the shelter, you have to walk through dozens of little waterfalls, gushing down from what is no doubt a filthy metal roof.

My next installment in the "things New Yorkers don't realize" series will be "Do cities inherently have to smell like urine?" I won't spoil the surprise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home