Pur Autre Vie

I'm not wrong, I'm just an asshole

Saturday, September 15, 2007

I Can Has Laffs Without Racisms?

So I generally enjoy the lolcat phenomenon - see here and here, and in fact I think it should be extended to other areas (lolfinance - Icahn has cheezburger!). My worry is that people don't seem to get the joke, or at least they're extending the joke in a very unfortunate way. The basic idea is to have a picture of a cat (or other animal or robot) with text expressing something with poor grammar and spelling. I think it takes at least some of its inspiration from shorthand used in texting and IMing.

Anyway, it doesn't take its inspiration from race-baiting or bigotry, but I worry that racism could creep in. You'll see text along the lines of "let me aks you sumthing," and it's easy to see how that could be offensive to someone. Basically it needs to stay far away from stereotypes about the way particular racial groups talk.

That's about all I have to say - it would be unfortunate if the whole thing got tinged with racism.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home