Pur Autre Vie

I'm not wrong, I'm just an asshole

Friday, September 28, 2007

Hey, Macy's, Go Fuck Yourself

So the NYTimes has an article about Macy's poor results since reducing the use of coupons in its marketing. I suppose that's one explanation for its poor results, but I can think of a far more compelling one: its inexplicable, ruinous decision to re-brand the Marshall Field's stores it acquired.

Basically, the situation was this: Marshall Field's was a beloved retailer in Chicago, an integral part of the city's history, a landmark. It was common, especially around Christmastime, to see people making their way through Chicago's streets merrily swinging the signature dark green Marshall Field's bags. Many people associate the company with Frango mints, a favorite of Chicagoans and a fond memory for me.

I say a memory, because there's no fucking way I'll shop at a Macy's now. Their ugly red bags and overall mediocrity are anathema to everything Marshall Field's stood for. Chicagoans literally picketed Macy's when it made the name change, and I'm sure plenty of us bear a grudge. More than a grudge: a deathwish. When your company is engaged in the wholesale destruction of America's best institutions, don't be surprised when no one wants to buy your products, and don't blame it on the fucking coupons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home