Pur Autre Vie

I'm not wrong, I'm just an asshole

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Poverty Saturday

A few thoughts on poverty.

First, don't miss the New York Times story on infant mortality in the South. The problem appears to be one of poverty and culture:

Now 21, a mother of two with a third on the way, Ms. Allen lives in a sparsely furnished house in Hollandale with her unemployed boyfriend and his mother. Her children live with her parents.

Ms. Allen greeted visitors with breakfast in hand: a bottle of Mountain Dew and a bag of chips.

[me again] Note, though, that poverty and culture can't have changed much in the past few years, but infant mortality has shot up (definitely click the graph next to the story). Something else is going on.

In other news, I was recently reminded of the existence of the MIT Poverty Lab, which is committed to empirical work on development. I'm sympathetic to their approach, although I don't know their work very well.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's one thing to be poor and starving; poor and obese sounds more like a self-inflicted malady.

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home