Pur Autre Vie

I'm not wrong, I'm just an asshole

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Something For the Weekend

So I judged at UChicago's debate tournament this weekend. It was fun, the rounds I saw really demonstrated the best and worst that debate has to offer. A few highlights:

1. A judge told another judge that their landlord was fixing the back door. I asked if this was a euphemism.

2. A judge said of a debater that "his member really let him down." I divulged that my member has let me down on a number of occasions.

3. A team ran the case that social activist student groups should use Facebook to screen members, along with the traditional interviews and applications(!). One argument was that people aren't professional enough on Facebook, so this will encourage them to improve their image. The LO responded, "We aren't told a lot about what kind of social activist group you are, but it's safe to say you're not Students for a Better Facebook."

4. Stanford named their teams after philosophers. Stanford Milton Friedman Ralph Nader argued (against Amherst A) that sovereign immunity should be eliminated. That way social policy can be entrusted to 12 random idiots, you see. Along the way, a Stanford debater suggested that you should be able to sue the government for breach of contract. What contract, you ask? The social contract. I love Stanford debaters.

[UPDATE: fixed spelling error]

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. A judge told another judge that their landlord was fixing the back door. I asked if this was a euphemism.

2. A judge said of a debater that "his member really let him down." I divulged that my member has let me down on a number of occasions.


I bet you were the hit of the party.

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home