Pur Autre Vie

I'm not wrong, I'm just an asshole

Monday, July 18, 2005

Religion and Ritual

My grandmother died last week. She was 90, and her decline was mercifully quick. As recently as a few years ago she was quite active, and only at the very end did she really begin to fade. My mother noticed it about a month ago, at her mother's 90th birthday. My grandmother loved playing bridge, but at the party when they played she bid every hand no matter what. She also lost track of the cards. Still, she loved every minute of it.

The funeral was quiet but lovely. It can be a little surprising how many people are touched by one life, and how many memories they have to share.

When I wrote the title of this post, I intended to write a little rant about the monopoly that religion enjoys over the important life rituals. I'm not sure I mind - Christianity at least has risen to the occasion quite well, with hymns and poetry and beautiful churches - but anyway now isn't the time for a rant. I can't really summon any strong opinions at all, I'm just absorbing the world around me for a bit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home