Pur Autre Vie

I'm not wrong, I'm just an asshole

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Stop Confusing Me

I really don't get this line from a NYTimes piece on a tourist attraction in Maine:

The observation tower, which opened in May and is the only one in the United States, provides an awe-inducing panorama of Maine’s mountains and coastline and a bird’s-eye view of the nearby village of Bucksport.


I really just can't figure it out. True, the observation tower is part of a bridge, so maybe that's unique? That's a very odd construction of the sentence though, and I can guaran-goddamn-tee you that it's not the only observation tower in the US. The title is also odd: "Sure, the Bridge is a Marvel, but How About the View?" As the piece makes clear, though, the view is excellent. To me, the title implies that someone, somewhere is questioning the view. Not so, to all appearances. Glad we cleared that up.

In any case, it does look like a cool bridge. If I were one of the engineers, I'd clip the NYTimes piece and save it, so that I could get it out every once in a while and say to myself, "What the fuck?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home