Pur Autre Vie

I'm not wrong, I'm just an asshole

Monday, February 13, 2006

My Struggle Against Racism

So I called up Edwardo's last week, hoping to capitalize on their Tuesday family special: a medium stuffed pizza and four cans of Coke for around $20 (including delivery fee). The girl who took my call, who happened to be black, told me that Edwardo's doesn't deliver south of 61st St.

What you have to understand is that 61st St. is something of a cutoff between mixed-race, prosperous Hyde Park and mostly black, poor Woodlawn (technically the cutoff is at 60th, but whatever). Edwardo's is located on 57th St., so distance clearly isn't the decisive factor here. Edwardo's is essentially profiling against Woodlawn on the basis of its demographics, and, in fairness, possibly as a result of bad experiences.

Now, admittedly I feel a little odd portraying this as a racial issue, but I don't think it's relevant that I'm white and the Edwardo's employee was black. Edwardo's as a business has decided to draw a distinction that is closely bound up with race and class, and by a quirk I've been lumped together on the wrong side of 61st St. Until Edwardo's changes its policy, I'm boycotting it. Whether this is because of laziness or principle I leave to you to judge for yourself.

[UPDATE: fixed a few grammatical errors]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home