Pur Autre Vie

I'm not wrong, I'm just an asshole

Saturday, December 24, 2005

India Shining

So this New York Times article gives the basics about a corruption sting in India that resulted in 11 MPs being forced out of office. Unfortunately the Times piece doesn't quite capture the glorious absurdity of the events. Basically, the politicians were given cash bribes to ask certain questions in Parliament. Here are a few sample questions, from Outlook India's account of the sting:

Whether the Railway Ministry has placed any order for purchase of the Yossarian Electro Diesel engine from Germany? Is the ministry aware that the Tom Wolfe committee report in Germany has halted its induction into the Euro Rail system?

Whether the Government has given sanction for the seed trial of Salinger Cotton of Monsanto? If so, has a report been prepared on Catch 22 cotton so far?

The man behind the sting operation, Aniruddha Bahal, commented (again from Outlook India):

"And now, that I have paid homage to Yossarian, I am a little upset that Major Major and Milo Mindbinder got left out. But I am happy that the Yossarian brand name has infiltrated the German market in spite of strong opposition from Tom Wolfe thanks to the foresightedness of the Indian parliamentarians. As for the Catch 22 and Salinger cotton strains I hope they are tremendously profitable for farmers and that the lifting of the bans on Hemingway, Thomson and Kesey, long due and deserved, will lead to a tremendous fillip to the publishing industry in general."

So when people ask me why I love India, this is the kind of thing I wish they could see.

1 Comments:

Blogger yossarian said...

I like your writing . A lot of bite in it .

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home