Pur Autre Vie

I'm not wrong, I'm just an asshole

Friday, May 13, 2016

Falling in Love 4: A Sudden Flame

You tell me a cloud is not a thing but a phenomenon like a fire.
A place where the parameters are such that the air becomes opaque,
Instead of luminescent.
A smear of diagnostic dye
'To trouble the living stream.'

The air up there is permanently cold.
But the coldness is forever out of reach:
Bring the air close and it heats up
Like fluid in a compressor,
Leaving us sticky and itchy with sweat.
We are on the wrong side of nature's air conditioner.
We can only watch longingly
While the clouds multiply and the heat shimmers.

And I believe you,
But inside I am screaming
And longing
To get away from you.

I wish I could find the poetry in your ramblings,
I wish I could find pleasure in your touch.
You deserve someone who does.
I deserve someone who can turn me on
With a look
Or a sudden hand on my back,
Drawing me in to something that I want.

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, you slobbery ox,
But I can't love you
And I don't want to.

You tell me breaking up is a political decision.
I tell you to get the fuck out of my apartment.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do these poems share a common narrator, or is each to be read as its own voice?

3:12 PM  
Blogger James said...

I leave it to the reader to decide! But actually, that's something I fucked up, because the fourth poem is intended to have a different narrator, but I executed it poorly. Going to rewrite it soon.

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home