Pur Autre Vie

I'm not wrong, I'm just an asshole

Thursday, July 24, 2008

So You Can Laugh if you Want To

Today's Dinosaur Comic is strangely apt. I started to listen to "Philosophy" by Ben Folds and suddenly I was back in college, and I could taste vodka. It's not a particularized memory as far as I can tell (maybe I've just forgotten all the other details), but it really is remarkable how vividly the memory comes back when the song starts playing. Anyway my somewhat self-destructive tendency to listen to a song or CD over and over until I don't like it anymore has the effect of realizing T-Rex's goal. If I want to be back in Chicago in the springtime, baking bread and then walking north through the park where the parakeets live, all I have to do is listen to No Depression by Uncle Tupelo. Listening to Alan's music makes me nauseated, but I don't think that's because I was ill when I first listened to it, I think it's just the direct effect of the music.

Kidding, kidding.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alan said...

I think you'd like my "Requiem for a First-Year Bankruptcy Associate." Too bad you won't get to hear it.

7:23 PM  
Blogger James said...

I believe I'm writing that one myself.

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home