Pur Autre Vie

I'm not wrong, I'm just an asshole

Saturday, May 05, 2007

Test Yourself

I've been linking to Dani Rodrik a lot, and I'm not ready to back down. He has posted a quiz question: would you rather be rich in a poor country or poor in a rich country? More specifically, would you rather be in the bottom decile in a top-decile country, or top decile in a bottom-decile country? Assume you only want to maximize your own consumption. Anyway, feel free to post your answers here as well as on his blog. I don't really care if this is a scientific survey, so I might as well make a guess. My guess is that it's better to be rich in a poor country. Rodrik says it's not even close, but it does seem like a close question to me. I must be missing something.

4 Comments:

Blogger Grobstein said...

So you don't care about status except insofar as it produces material goods? I mean, shit, I have no idea; it probably depends on your preferences; but given some assumptions it should be possible to produce a clear answer. I'm curious, anyway.

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WTF? The question is idiotic. The real question and whether you'd rather be rich in a poor country or well-off in a rich country (assuming same absolute level of wealth). See, if you're rich (relatively) in a poor country, you can use/abuse other people in ways that you can't in more egalitarian, enlightened countries.

Who the fuck would want to be poor in any country?

4:04 PM  
Blogger James said...

I'm not entirely sure the question is idiotic. I should clarify that Rodrik isn't asking, "Would you rather be rich or poor?" Rather, he's asking, "Would you rather be rich in a poor country or poor in a rich country?"

So the average rich person in Mali (recall that Rodrik defined this as someone in the top decile) makes about $4,900 a year. That's $4,900 in purchasing power parity, meaning it's what $4,900 would get you in the US. In nominal terms the average rich person in Mali makes under $2,000.

The average poor person in Switzerland (defined as someone in the bottom decile) makes about $8,700 a year, again in purchasing power parity. In nominal terms, the average poor person in Switzerland makes over $13,000 per year.

This result is interesting and counterintuitive (to me), so I don't regard Rodrik's question as idiotic.

5:40 PM  
Blogger James said...

A few more data points:

The average rich person in Ethiopia earns $3,155 PPP and a nominal $590 per year.

The average rich person in Sierra Leone earns $3,820 PPP and a nominal $875.

The average rich person in Tanzania earns $2,235 PPP and a nominal $1,000.

The average poor person in Finland earns $13,750 PPP and a nominal $15,730.

The average poor person in Canada earns $9,770 PPP and a nominal $9,130.

The average poor person in the United States earns $7,750.

The average poor person in Japan earns $15,895 PPP and a nominal $18,500.

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home