Pur Autre Vie

I'm not wrong, I'm just an asshole

Thursday, February 02, 2012

The Clinton Administration Being the Clinton Administration

So, I swear the title of my previous post was a coincidence. I had no idea this happened:

In March [of 1999], President Bill Clinton visited Guatemala and, with President Arzú sitting in stony silence beside him, made an extraordinary apology for the decades of U.S. support of military dictatorships. "It is important that I state clearly that support for military forces or intelligence units which engaged in violent and widespread repression of the kind described in [a United Nations report, Memory of Silence] was wrong," he said. "And the United States must not repeat that mistake."
I suppose it's too late for Mitt Romney to give a speech attacking Clinton for the apology, but you never know. If he does, I hope someone brings up Rosario Godoy de Cuevas (and the hundreds of thousands of people like her).